Feedback for Core Courses in General Education

The following courses are the state recommended core courses within General Education:

Communications:  ENC 1101, Freshman Composition I

Humanities: ARH 1000, Art Appreciation; HUM 1020 Introduction to Humanities; LIT X000, Introduction to Literature; MULX010, Music Literature/Music Appreciation; PHI 1010 Introduction to Philosophy; THE X000 Theatre Appreciation

Mathematics: MAC 1105, College Algebra; MAC 2311 Calculus I; MGF 1106 Liberal Mathematics I; MGF 1107 Liberal Mathematics II, STA 2023, Statistical Methods.

Natural Sciences: AST 10002, Descriptive Astronomy; BSC 1005 General Biology; BSC1010 General Biology I; BSC X085 Anatomy and Physiology I; CHM 1020, Chemistry for Liberal Studies, CHM1045, General Chemistry I, ESC X000 Introduction to Earth Science, EVR X001, Introduction to Earth Science, PHY 1020, Fundamentals of Physics, PHY 2048 General Physics with Calculus, PHY 1053, General Physics I

Social Sciences:  AMH 2020, Introductory Survey Since 1877; ANT 2000, Introduction to Anthropology, ECO 2013, Principles of Macroeconomics, POS 2041, American Government, PSY 2012, Introduction to Psychology, SYG 2000 Principles of Sociology

Any feedback provided will be shared with the CCC at their October 16 meeting, and will be shared with the state by November 1.

8 Responses to “Feedback for Core Courses in General Education”

1. Deidre Holmes DuBois

Karen, I am looking for clarification on the “voting” and the voting we’re doing at each step of this process. Is it correct that although I was able to indicate my approval or lack thereof on the survey for the core courses above I won’t be asked to indicate my approval for the courses that comprise the options in each of the 5 areas for the remaining 15 hours of gen ed? Given that these are program-level changes to gen ed, it seems that all gen ed faculty should have a chance for input on the configuration of the remaining 15 hours.

Reply
    • Karen Marie Borglum

Deidre, The process will be similar for the institutional hours of Gen Ed. I will send out a survey asking for feedback on each division’s institutional hours proposal. I will create a blog, and all of the information will be shared at the November 13 CCC meeting. The CCC will vote on the institutional courses based upon the completion of: the Gen Ed Templates, the Course Outlines, and the faculty voter lists. We will also review each course as it relates to the Gen Ed principles for inclusion, and faculty feedback from the survey and blog.

Reply
  2. Deidre Holmes DuBois

Hi again, Karen,
    One more question about these votes–specifically about the voter lists. The notation at the top of the speech voter list says, “Listed below are the names of each full-time faculty member, dean and director associated with the specified discipline or program for the current academic year.” The names listed, as far as I can tell, are tenured and tenure-track faculty. We also have annually appointed faculty who are full-time. Would you say that the language needs to be changed to reflect that only tenured and tenure-track faculty are voters on curriculum issues, or do we need to add annually appointed faculty to voter lists? From what I’m hearing, different areas view this differently, and it would be nice to have clarification. Thanks!

Reply
    • Karen Marie Borglum

We should change the language to reflect that only tenured and tenure-track faculty are listed; however, if there is an annual contract employee happens to be a Program Chair, that person will be added to the voter list at the Dean’s request.

Reply
  3. Karen Marie Borglum

The following are the comments in response to the core course options. They have not been edited in any way.

I think this is a great start at a statewide core. We may well discover that some changes are necessary with time but fortunately there is a process in place to make alterations at the statewide level.

There MUST be a World Religions course in the Humanities General Education Core. Failure to include such a course does a grave disservice to our students, who will need to live as ethically responsible, compassionate, and tolerant inhabitants of a religiously-diverse world.

Maybe more math courses to add; College Trig and Precalculus

I know these comments have been expressed and what is done is done but the State should recognize Speech as a needed component of a General Education College Curriculum.

Wondering why there are so many additional choices in Science now than before. Did we lose the “or higher” designation? Also, many students need CHM1025 – I think this should be in the list.

Humanities is an area we can discuss more.

Are ESC X000 and EVR X001 both Earth Science courses?

I support most of the course but not all; I do not support Music Literature, Intro to psychology and I don’t know the difference between the Earth Science courses

I think there should be more GR humanities on this list; Music Lit appears to be the only one. Also REL 2000 is important in this day & age.

There is no reason to have Anthropology on this list. We do not offer many classes in this area and have no full-time professors. Replacing this with History prior to 1877 or Microeconomics would make more sense.

i was under the impression ARH 2051 (art history II) would also end up on the humanities list. adding that course to the list will change my vote to yes.

Under humanities: Literature belongs to the english department in most institutions–they are essentially colonizing a piece of the humanities property with this–I also teach literature in my humanities courses: can I put it under their core? No? Then why do they put theirs under ours? Also, Theater is a specialization for theater majors–it was stuck under ours for the purpose of “streamlining” those majors–that is completely contradictory to what “general education” means. The same is true for the music classes which are specializations for certain majors. The humanities core should have only Introduction to Humanities–but because many institutions do combine certain other fields, it is acceptable to include art appreciation, intro to philosophy, and I think intro to religion should be there too. Understanding religious culture around the globe is particularly important in today’s society and it is an egregious oversight that it is not there.

In humanities, I believe that we should have religion as a core course

The entire hunanities core section needs to be reviewed and reduced with other more critical areas for job success like math, science and writing increased

Where is ENC1102?

Sure wish we had more cultural appreciation courses for Humanities, more Business Mathematics in Mathematics, and some geology/sustainability courses for Natural Sciences.

It’s important for faculty not to assume that a course will never again run if it’s not part of Gen Ed. Gen Ed’s purpose is not to drive enrollment but to provide students a broad but focused range of academic choices meant to give them an overview of the basic elements of many fields.
    this survey is lame. where is the collaboration… There are a multitude of environmental, social and economic crises bearing down on us and our students AND we are not preparing our students for mother of all stroms about to hit us. We are in denial. We need to collaborate and create and theach our students to collaborate and create. Let’s wake up!

POS 2041 American Government has been a required course at Valencia College for decades, and Valencia College has risen to national status during that time as one of the best 2-year colleges in the nation. In addition, many Valencia graduates have gone on to become political and business leaders. Finally, Valencia has heavy civic involvement and connections to local and state political leaders through internships, but a lot of this is possible because of Valencia’s commitment to its U.S. Government course and how it helps train and prepare Valencia students for this kind of involvement. Dropping U.S. Government as a REQUIRED course was an enormous error. It should be required, not recommended, and this will hurt Valencia students far more than it will help them.

The Humanities choices are flawed. Theater and Music appreciation are much too narrow in scope, and at the same time essential topics such as Religion and Mythology are left out.

I like the variety of choices students will have for their Gen. Ed. core in each of the 5 disciplines.

Reply
  4. Cecil Battiste

I am literally shocked and virtually speechless that an American Government course is not a required part of Gen Ed going forward. That is amazing to me. I do not teach in that field and you might say I don’t have a “dog in this fight” although I am a taxpayer and I do have one sons who will go to Valencia and one more who does go to Valencia so I do have a vested interest in Gen Ed somewhat. I would be crusified if I gave an honest opinion about what the state of FL considers a Gen Ed class, I can’t believe some of these classes are required and American Governement no longer will be, wow, that is just plain wrong.

Reply
  5. AJ Quackenbush

Cecil,
    Many faculty are shocked and disappointed by the decision to remove US Government as a required General Education course. Since I was part of the debate on this issue I can say that the political science faculty gave every effort to lobby the other Social Science faculty to keep this course as required. Unfortunately our words fell on def ears and the discussions broke down to a point where the desire to include a civic education for our students was almost non existent outside of our discipline. Of course, I will continue my efforts to encourage voluntary student enrollment in US Government at Valencia. I know the lack of political knowledge among our students has reached epidemic levels. This semester alone only 3 students out of approximately 100 in my classes were able to pass an official US citizenship test on the first day of class. FYI passing is only 60%. It’s a scary situation.

AJ Quackenbush

Reply